Bollywood icon Rani Mukerji
was today awarded an Honorary Doctor of Letters (D.Litt.) by Australia’s La
Trobe University at a special ceremony at Federation Square, as part of the
Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM) 2026. The honour recognises her nearly
three-decade contribution to Indian cinema and her sustained advocacy for
women, children and marginalised communities.
With this, Rani Mukerji
becomes only the second Indian film personality after Shah Rukh Khan to receive
La Trobe’s highest accolade; the university previously honoured Khan in 2019
for philanthropy and cinema and announced a PhD scholarship in his name.
“Receiving this honorary
doctorate from La Trobe University is one of the most humbling moments of my
life,” Mukerji said. “When I was a little girl, like everyone else, I wanted to
make my family and my country proud. I did not know how to do this but I knew
if I try hard enough to be good at something, my parents would be happy. Cinema
became the medium to achieve this.”
She outlined the creative
compass that has guided her choices: “I have been a risk taker right from the
start of my career! I have always chosen films that have made an impact in my
heart first!! A story that’s needs to be told! A story that would inspire and
empower!” “I have always silently worked to represent the powerful girls and
women of India through cinema that has its heart in the right place. I’m
equally passionate about the work I do for those in need, those who seek urgent
assistance … So, to receive this honour for doing what I feel is right is
further motivating me to keep fighting the good fight.”
Elevating the recognition to
a larger cultural mandate, she said: “For someone who has always believed that
films can change hearts before they change minds, this recognition means more
than I can possibly express.” “Every artist carries a responsibility beyond
performance. We quietly become ambassadors of our culture.” “If my films have
helped even one person understand India and its women a little better… If they
have encouraged dialogue… If they have created empathy… Then I feel I have
fulfilled a responsibility far greater than simply being an actor.”
La Trobe University
Chancellor The Honourable John Brumby AO said: “Rani Mukerji’s remarkable body
of work has transcended entertainment to spark important conversations around
social justice, equality and inclusion. Her unwavering commitment to humanitarian
causes makes her an exceptional recipient of this honorary doctorate.”
IFFM Festival Director Mitu Bhowmick Lange
added that the honour celebrates both artistic excellence and the power of
storytelling to build bridges between nations.
The honorary degree was
presented at a special ceremony on 14 August at Federation Square in Melbourne
during IFFM 2026, which runs from 13 to 23 August. Through films such as Black,
No One Killed Jessica, Hichki, the Mardaani franchise and Mrs Chatterjee vs
Norway, Mukerji has highlighted issues including women’s rights, gender
justice, disability inclusion and social change.
Accepting the honour, Mukerji
dedicated the recognition to India and to audiences worldwide: “I proudly
accept this honour not only as Rani Mukerji, but also as an Indian who is proud
to see her culture, her cinema being celebrated here in Australia. I accept it
on behalf of every Indian artist who has believed that stories can build
friendships between nations.” “This doctorate becomes another chapter in that
story. I have lived a blessed life thanks to you all. I will carry this honour
with immense gratitude, profound humility and tremendous pride.”
.heic.jpeg)
No comments:
Post a Comment