Tuesday 7 April 2020

“I haven’t found a role that fits my caliber- Rajesh Puri



A brilliant actor and a talented director, Rajesh Puri is the face everyone recalls as the most adorable and affable father on television and is arguably one of the finest actors on the small screen. Puri who currently essays the role of Mannbahadur Singh on &TV’s mythological show Santoshi Maa Sunaye Vrat Kathayein recently revealed his disappointment on the kind of roles he has played on the big screen. Rajesh’s journey has been eventful. It has taken him through the chaotic, vivid scenes of theatre, acting classes in National School of Drama (NSD) to Mumbai and tinsel town’s bittersweet fantasy world from a rooted middle-class Delhi background.

The defining moments of Rajesh’s career were his breakthrough performance in ‘Hum Log’ for his character Lallu, which brought him success. Ever since then, the actor has been part of over 500 plays and has a whopping 130 films to his credit. The actor believes theatre gave him the intensity to live his roles which is why that is probably his first love. Yet he feels that his work on the silver screen hasn’t been quite fulfilling for him as an actor.

Rajesh Puri shares “I think it is deeply problematic for an artist when talent is not used as much as it should be. I’ve done over 130 films and still haven’t found a role that fits my caliber. While I don’t condone any of my work on the big screen, I honestly feel I can truly do much complicated and varied roles, and my work in the theatre is the testimony of the same. It doesn’t even matter if the role of my character is merely for 15 minutes, my character should be able to move the audience in an inexplicable way”.

Over three decades of experience and Puri still strives for perfection, this indeed is the hallmark of a true and passionate actor.

Tune in to watch Santoshi Maa – Sunaye Vrat Kathayein only on &TV at 9.00pm from Monday to Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment